Another Valentine’s Day is almost here, and with it comes the realization that it’s been almost exactly four years since the end of the best relationship I ever had, and since I learned one of the biggest “love lessons” ever. With that in mind, I thought I’d use some of my free time this evening to present, after much thought and consideration, ten questions I’d like to ask a woman I might be interested in dating. Granted, I have no idea who this person will be, what she’ll be like, when God might bring her into my life, or even whether she’ll check any of my boxes. But what I do know is that it’s extremely important to get to know as much about someone as you can before you even begin to think about dating them, and these questions are one way to help me do that on a slightly deeper level (especially given my difficulty with small talk). So here goes.
- Tell me your story. Everyone has one–it’s what helps make us who we are–and I’d love to hear yours. In addition, what’s your greatest triumph? Greatest fear?
- Do you have a relationship with Christ? If so, how important to you is your walk with the Lord? Do you have a story about how you came to know him?
- Are you willing to accept me as I am, with all my flaws and fears, and allow me to do the same with you?
- How important is family to you? If it’s in God’s will for us to marry one day, would you be interested in starting one?
- Pepperoni pizza or cheese pizza? Coke or Pepsi? Sonic the Hedgehog or Mario? PHP or ASP.NET?
- What are some of your political views? Is the protection of all human life, even that which is still in a mother’s womb, important to you? Are there any other hot button issues about which you have opinions or beliefs?
- What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to do? A place you’ve always wanted to visit?
- What’s your love language?
- Do you have any worries or fears in regards to being in a relationship with someone who is blind?
- Windows or Mac?
Of course this isn’t a complete list as I’m sure I’ll have millions of questions for the woman I’m to date someday, and she’ll have millions for me as well. Also, these questions aren’t in any particular order, but they are some of what I feel are the most important when getting to know someone new and hopefully determining whether we’d be a good match. Think I left something off this list? Leave a comment and let me know!